Open enrollment for out-of-district students
Do you live within the Tukwila School District boundaries and would like to transfer to an out-of-district school? Please fill out the form below to start the process.
Do you live out of the district and would like to attend a Tukwila school? We are open for enrollment for the 2017-18 school year!
Join the district that:
- Is leading the state in excellence, inclusion, and caring. Governor Jay Inslee said: “What’s happening at your schools is exactly what we need to have happened across the state of Washington!”
- Was rated most diverse in the nation by the New York Times in 2012. No matter a student’s background or experiences, all are truly welcome and embraced.
- Knows each child by name and develops their strengths to help them overcome challenges and graduate with a personal plan for success in their career and life.
- Has won the state’s and nation’s highest awards for academics, including the Gaston Caperton Opportunity Honor Roll, the state School of Distinction designation, the Pathways to Excellence award, and the Washington Achievement Award.
- Is on track to be a leader in innovative STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) programs and early-childhood education, thanks to a comprehensive 2016 bond that will also renovate and modernize all of our schools.
- Embraces technology: We have one-to-one laptop devices for all students, coding/robotics/technology clubs in every school, and cutting-edge partnerships with universities and industries.
Process for enrollment:
Need help? Call 206-901-8000
- Obtain a Choice Transfer form from your home district. Here are some of our surrounding districts’ forms for your convenience:
- Fill out a Tukwila School District enrollment packet (note: no Transportation Information or Student Residency Questionnaire required )
- Submit your Choice Transfer form and enrollment packet to the Tukwila School District:
- By mail—Jane DeMello Long, Tukwila School District, 4640 S. 144th St., Tukwila, WA 98168
- In person—Tukwila School District Administration Building, 4640 S. 144th St., Tukwila
- By fax: Attention Jane DeMello-Long, 206-901-8016
If you have questions or trouble obtaining a Choice Transfer form from your home district, please contact Jane DeMello-Long at 206-901-8000.
Policy for out-of-district transfers
- Policy 3141: Non-resident students
Non-resident students will provide their own transportation to and from school. Acceptance of non-resident students is subject to annual review based on:
- Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled.
- Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student’s condition as stated in requesting release from his or her district of residence.
- Whether the student’s attendance in the district is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff, or whether the educational process may be likely to be disturbed. Previous misconduct may be used as the basis to make this determination. A student currently under suspension or expulsion shall not be normally accepted for transfers.
- Whether the district’s administratively determined priorities will be met by granting admission of a non-resident student.
- Whether the student shows a history of acceptable attendance.
- Whether the student’s disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes).
- Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission of expelled students.